Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Epidemic Anime Disease

ARTICLE: How anime affect personality? 
Follow-up questions: 

1. What makes a Shoku-kei?
2. How many of men today are proven to be a Soshoku-kei?
3. Are they considered gay?


Being too much dedicated to anime may sometimes be good and bad. The reason I watch anime is because it just sends me to a whole different world where possibilities are endless. It may sound exaggerated but its true. Sometimes, I get too much intact with the characters because of their certain ideals which I find the same as mine. Whenever I watched Shakugan no Shana, sometimes I feel like I also want to be like the main character because of her strong personality and being too independent so that no person can try to bully me. But what could really be the effect of anime to a viewer? Can it really change you? 


I came up with an article, Anime's impact on personality and the world by Takamasa Sakurai on anime's impact on personality and the world. Takamasa Sakurai is a content producer using events and seminars to engage in "anime culture diplomacy", giving lectures at universities and appearing as a guest at Japanese pop events.

In his article, he shared his visit to Rome and what he had observed from the people who visited the Japan Events. He said that the diplomats impression on young overseas anime followers is "shy" or "hesitant." Such attitudes may come from their sincere feelings toward Japan. He felt that a new breed of man is emerging or the so called "soshoku-kei". Takamasa also said that men develops into Soshoku-kei through constantly watching anime from childhood. According to him, Japanese anime influences the personalities of young people overseas. As an evidenced, one of his male student said to him that they've grown up in anime. He focused on anime impact in a person on the view of men. He took the character of Shinji Ikari as an example of Soshokukei.


Shinji Ikari, the designated pilot of Evangelion Unit-01 and the son of "deceased" Gehim bio engineer Yui Ikari and NERV Commander Gendi Ikari 

Asuka and Shinji share a kiss of Asuka's "boredom”

In this scene when Asuka kissed Shinji, she got upset because of Shinji's lack of emotion. Normally, a man is assertive when it comes to a woman. But in this scenario although Shinji like her, he can't express his feelings of affection to her.

Anime can in some way affect one's personalities for the fact that there is really something mysterious on the characters and the story. It can make you feel the same way as the characters feel and can also make you do things the same as how some characters behave. Even if one is unaware of it, it can happen. As an anime fan, I can also sometimes feel changes in me whenever I watch anime but only in a short time. When I was in Elementary, I get too in touched with some anime that I watched. I tried to act out the characters that I like. It seems like I also want to be like her/him. 


One character that I love is Ayu Tateishi of the romantic comedy anime, "Ultramaniac". She is one of the female protagonists of the story. She constantly tries to stay calm and keep cool about everything to keep up. What I love about her is her being too calm and cool in everything in order to keep up which I am not. Unlike her, I always worry even on small things. This character has somewhat inspired me in my personal view. It taught me not to make things complicated. It also taught me the value of FRIENDSHIP.


Actually, it has been a long year since I last watched this anime. I waited for another episodes but it seems like the creator no longer made a follow-up series. 

There are other anime that are also influencing such as Naruto and Takao Kinomiya of Beyblade which portrays the value of friendship and achieving your dreams and goals in life. It reminds one to have courage and be determinate to become successful. These anime can somewhat change our ideals in life.


Takao Kinomiya
Takao Kinomiya is the main character of the anime and manga series of Beyblade. He is a very outgoing, outspoken and cheerful, though prone to a short temper, emotional outbursts and overconfidence.


Uzumaki Naruto, a ninja who constantly searches for recognition and dreams to become the Hokage

According to the article, another evidence of anime’s impact on a person is the "Soshoku-kei". "Soshoku-kei" or the "new breed of man" is a man who is gentle, quiet, and soft. It is a guy showing admirable patience and endurance in the face of adversity without complaining or getting upset. He is not crazy about sex and not aggressive in love. In my understanding of men, they are courageous and assertive especially when it comes to women wherein they will do a lot of effort in order to impress a woman. But in the article, it tells that Soshoku-kei is starting to emerge in men because of anime influence on them which starts at childhood. It shows another view of men in the society. Based on my observation, some men nowadays act that way. They are sometimes much self-conscious than women. 

Would the person really wipe out what they considered “evil” on the face of the Earth if they have the power just like Light Yagami of Death Note? Well, the answer still depends of what kind of person that is. If one thinks of evil, then he might be influenced to do that but if a person has good heart then he may not attempt to that. In my view on this issue, anime really does really influence a person but at the end of the day, it will still depend on the person if will be affected or not. It is like a teacher teaching us and reminding us something that human beings are able to forget. Anime takes the form of feeling the emotions that the characters feel in order to continue to “hold on” to that character but such feelings does not last forever. Of course, if one is too focused with the characters, you can really feel what they are feeling. It can influenced one’s outlook in life. Most series make me feel some new thought especially if they have an intense ending. But I could say only certain ones affect my personality after the initial shock wears off.
After reading the article, I have come up with a conclusion that whenever a person watches a certain anime or even a movie, they should not only consider the entertainment but also the lesson that they can gain from it. There’s nothing wrong if it change you, as long as it is for the BETTER.

Moreover, there are still questions that I want to know. I want to know what makes a Soshoku-kei, how many of men today are proven to be a Soshoku-kei, and whether they can be considered a gay or not which I can only find out by reading articles related to Soshoku-kei. 

1 comment: